[Lazarus] Which fpc/lazarus svn to use?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 10:59:26 CEST 2013

On 27/09/2013 22:30, Kjow wrote:
> I never understood which svn to download for stable "homemade buildings".
I'll list my preferences below ;)

> About trunk:
>
> FPC -> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/trunk/
FPC trunk right now is not terribly stable because of the big unicode
changes coming in. That said, I do use it myself for FPC
development/patches, and hobbyist projects. In case of problems either
revert to a known working revision or just use a downloaded stock Laz
1.0.12+FPC 2.6.2 combination that I have installed anyway.
I use fpcup so I can fairly easily manage multiple independent Laz
installs but I might have mentioned that before ;)
> Lazarus -> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk/
For home use, I would definitely use Laz trunk. In general it's quite
stable, and sees a lot of improvements and fixes.

> About stable tree, which?
> FPC:
> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/branches/fixes_2_6/
If you don't choose FPC trunk I would choose this one as it gets fixes
over existing stable FPC 2.6.x (currently FPC 2.6.2) and therefore
should be more bug free.

> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_2_6_2/
>
> Lazarus:
> <snip> <http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/branches/fixes_1_0/>
I'd just use trunk.
> ...and then, when a new version is released, I need to download an
> other svn url, deleting the old one?
Well.... yes, that is an option. See below though.
> Can I upgrade?
(untested, by memory) you could do an svn export of your existing
directory to a new dir, then delete the old one (or a more hackish way
that avoids copying: remove all .svn subdirs and any other svn files in
your currerent directory).

Now you probably have most of the files, but you need to get the svn
repo info/metadata as well as all updates/deletions/additions.
do an svn checkout for the new url specifying the new directory. You
probably will need to use --force or something as it will complain about
the directory already existing, being non-empty etc.

Then do an svn update for good measure. Shouldn't really be necessary,
but it can help.

> Is there something similar to trunk tree (only one url) that is always
> updated to the latest revision/version?
Per definition trunk is always updated.
However, one of the *fixes branches would be an option if you want to
get new fixes and less chances of bugs.