[Lazarus] Remote debugger looses connection to target on Windows 7

Bernd Mueller mueller.b at gmx.net
Thu Apr 10 13:28:40 CEST 2014

Martin Frb wrote:

>> I have the log file attached.
>
> What code is on this line?

This is not always the same line when the problem appears.

    repeat
       Writeln('Test');
       Sleep(500);
    until FALSE;

It can happen, that I press F8, when the grey bar is on the line with
the Writeln statement and the debugger does not come back to the next
line with the Sleep statement.

I made another simple test case, which fails on Windows 7 (but works on
Windows 2000):

program project2;

begin
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
    Writeln('Test');
end.

On Windows 7, I am not able to step until the end of the program. At
some time, when I step over with F8, the grey selection bar does not
come back to the next Writeln statement. I can see, that the target has
stopped, because there is no further output in the console.

[valuable information snipped]

> You could try, if you are on that line, instead of stepping (F8), set a
> breakpoint the next line (lines, if there is a conditional), and use F9.
>
> Then, with F9 you should be able to use the pause button

>>> And then try, what happens if you hit the pause button in the IDE?

yes, pause seems to work.

> So the remote printed connection lost, when you pressed stop in the IDE.
> Then it was still connected?

The exact message from the target is:

"Remote side has terminated connection. GDBServer will reopen connection.
Listening on port 3333"

Regards, Bernd.