[Lazarus] Obtaining uptime

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Aug 8 13:58:54 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 10:22:22AM +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 08:05 AM, Sven Barth wrote:
> >
> > Just in case: you know that Windows 8 does not really shutdown by
> > default, but merely suspends to provide a faster "user experience"?
> >
> (Off Topic: )
>
> Are they crazy ?
>
> If you have an SSD, again and again rewriting the huge hibernation file
> will kill the device.

That's the whole idea to not do that. Only when the system changes the image
is redone. Keep in mind it doesn't save the current state (since you are
shutting down), so only the last boot state is saved, usually the one from
last patch tuesday.

(that being said, I use hibernation on SSD devices without much problems.
Usually they are specified as writing the whole space several times a day)