[Lazarus] lrt files and datamodules

Daithi Haxton dave at haxton.org
Wed Dec 3 12:59:00 CET 2014

Solved, or at least understood. I'm answering my own question in the
hope that it may keep somebody else from wandering about for two days
looking for this ...

Turns out the problem wasn't with data modules per se, it was with any
form that uses resourcestrings. The IDE's po updating mechanism is
supposed to pick up content from both lrt and rst files on a form
save. Lrt's are never generated from datamodules by design (or at
least never seem to have been). My proof of concept program for this
project worked fine, but that was done over a year ago from the
released Lazarus install. Now we're using Lazarus 1.2.0 and fpc 2.7.1
(we needed the better generic support in the newer compiler). The
newer compiler no longer generates rst files, it generates rsj files -
same thing in a JSON format, I suspect. some of the tools supplied
with the compiler (rstconv, for example) know how to read and convert
these, but the 1.2 IDE has no clue. Consequently data modules (or
regular forms/units) with resources never get put into the current po
file.

Hopefully this will be fixed in a future release, but I couldn't find
much discussion in roadmaps/bugs on it. I'll just work around it
manually until then.

Be well,
Dave H.