[Lazarus] Only VCL-compatible components in LCL

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:38:44 CET 2014

I've always found CCR to be a hacky and hard to use solution, starting from
the requirement to use SVN or Git.

IMO the best solution would be to have a real package manager that can
access repositories (with a default one provided by the lazarus devs that
should replace the CCR and provide everything in it) from inside Lazarus
that can download and install packages. Opening a project file that relies
on a package should scan the repositories to see if it is available and ask
the user to download it. The user should not need to do anything more than
selecting Yes or No there and to install new packages should be done from
the Add / Remove packages window that is already there. Basically what
Netbeans and Eclipse are already doing for many years now (especially
Eclipse).

Personally i have a bunch of Lazarus projects at my site that many of my
own programs use. Right now one has to track and download each requirement
separately - look at this wiki page
<http://runtimelegend.com/rep/rtworld/wiki?name=Build+and+Prepare+Runtime+World>
as an example (it used to be longer before multithreadprocslaz became part
of Lazarus itself). One needs to download, build and install four separate
packages manually. I could instead provide a repository that can be added
in the package manager (and even referenced from my program's project file
to be added automatically so the user wont even have to add it manually!)
and have Lazarus download and install the required packages.

As things are right now, if something is not part of Lazarus it is a great
pain to use it exactly because of all those extra steps required. Other
languages and environments have already solved that long time ago and i
think Lazarus should also do the same. Using a library should be as pain
free as possible and ATM in Lazarus it is hard - with the exception of
Windows, it is even harder than C and C++ since in Linux all popular
distributions include thousands of ready to use libraries which are
available with a single `apt-get` (or the distro's equivalent).