[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Feb 5 11:18:28 CET 2014

On 02/04/2014 04:02 PM, Reimar Grabowski wrote:
> You can talk to the GPU from different threads (with a little
> overhead) but you actually gain nothing, because of how the drivers work.
Very wrong, IMHO.

There is a lot to do for the CPU between the user programmer's code
calls an Language RTL- (LCL-) or Operating System (Widget Set-,
Windowing-System-, X-) API and the point where the driver is called.
Multithreading this code will speed up things a lot on a multicore
engine. (And the user programmer can't do anything to that but just
define the threads and do the calls within them ... or - as my
colleagues did - split up the application in multiple programs.)

-Michael