[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 10:43:21 CET 2014

Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb:
> Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb:
>>
>>> OK, so assuming an OS similar to X, can a single app support two
>>> forms on different displays, and/or move forms between displays?
>>
>> That's the job of the desktop/window manager, on every OS. When a form
>> shall be updated on screen, the manager determines the monitor from
>> the form's screen coordinates, then asks the form to paint itself.
>> Moving forms means nothing but changing their screen coordinates, then
>> request an screen update.
>
> My understanding is that moving forms *between* *displays* requires
> rather more than that, in fact I'm not sure it's doable on X (if it were
> then we wouldn't need Xinerama, Xdmx etc.).

Try to move a form with the mouse to an different monitor. This works on
Linux without additional libraries. Linux also can show the same form on
all desktops, without additional code or libraries.

If you mean "desktops" for "displays", or different X sessions, that's a
bit different. But even then it's only a process property, on which
desktop or X session a form is shown.

DoDi