[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 10 14:44:50 CET 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, patspiper wrote:

> On 10/02/14 11:33, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> A single Lazarus installation
>> * Can work with different CPUs. * It can work with different OS-es.
>> * It can work with different widgetsets.
>>
>> It caters for this by adapting the compiler unit search/output path into
>> $(cpu)-$(os)/$(widgetset)
>> - and it does so by default. This is great. (the variable names used may
>> differ from actual names).
>>
>> Lazarus also can work with different compilers versions: you can select the
>> compiler in the options dialog.
>
> What exactly do you change in your setup? Compiler path + make path?

Just compiler.

> Do you use fpc or ppc386 as compiler path? With a fully qualified path or
> without any path?

I use a full path to ppcx64-x.y.z

I do this, because lazarus does not - out of the box - support the passing of the version to FPC as in:

fpc -V2.6.4

for instance, the above command will execute the correct binary: ppcx64-2.6.4, as can be seen as:

home: >fpc -V2.6.4 -iV
2.6.4
home: >fpc -V2.7.1 -iV
2.7.1

I guess this can also be solved with the dialog that Mattias mentions,
but I believe that this should in fact be solved at a more fundamental level.

Maybe the lazarus devels are not aware of this -V option.
It's not widely used or propagated, after all.

Michael.