[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 16:38:59 CET 2014

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, patspiper wrote:
>

>> My solution to this is:
>>
>> - Install different fpc versions in folders differing only by the fpc
>> version
>
> To my knowledge, this is done by default, both on Unix and on Windows.

True. I just felt I should emphasise the fact.

>> - Use a script (with an fpc version variable) that includes in the
>> environment PATH the bin folder (where fpc is) and the compiler
>> folder (where ppcx64 is) to launch the Lazarus IDE.
>
> I don't see why you would need this.

So that the IDE is able to locate fpc, ppcxxx and other fpc executables
(including make) for the required version by just specifying executables
without paths.

The alternative would be to specify a full path for fpc (including the
version) and adding -Xp<ppcxxxpath>.

>> - Specify fpc with no path for the IDE compiler options. The IDE will
>> query fpc for the version and set the $FPCVER macro accordingly.
>> Note: using ppcx64 instead will prevent you from cross-compiling.
>
> Not an issue: I never cross-compile.

OK

>> Overrides do not solve this particular issue.
>
> As far as I understand it after Mattias' example, it would. But as
> argued elsewhere, my understanding of that dialog is limited.

I might have misunderstood what you were referring to. As far as your
original issue is, then yes overrides are a solution.

AFAIK, overrides are quite powerful, though delicate to handle. For
example, I even specify the buildmode (debug/release/etc...) in the
output folder, and overrides handle that quite well.

Stephano