[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 16:21:54 CET 2014

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>>> When is that wrong?
>> For one thing:
>>
>> When the architecture-specific compiler has a different version
>> than the 'default' one, the results may differ...
>
> Yes.
> A {$IFDEF VER2_6_2} depends on the ppcxxx version, does it not?

OK, but the basic point that I was trying to get confirmation of was
that with the exception of the one place that the IDE specifies -V,
everything else is based on the properties of ppcxxx which are queried
(via fpc) rather than being assumed. That includes $(FPCVER).

If there are later explicit overrides of unit directories etc., they
don't affect $(FPCVER), {$IFDEF VERxxx} and so on. Whether they are a
good idea is a different issue.

I'd throw in in case anybody's interested that I hacked together a
script which looked at an installed Lazarus instance and listed what
version of FPC had apparently been used so that I could regenerate it
from source. I suggest that that might be useful to have in --version
output.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk