[Lazarus] Some suggestions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 3 13:19:04 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've finally been able to upgrade my lazarus so I could enjoy the new functionalities
in the package manager/project manager and the messages dialog.

In general, the new functionalities are a real joy to work with, kudos to the lazarus team...

Some annoyances I noticed which can probably be improved (I'm using GTK2 version of lazarus):

- When I right-click a message in the message dialog, the pop-up menu displays the possibilities
   for the selected item, not the item I just right-clicked.
   I suspect this is a matter of letting right-click also select the clicked message.

   Currently I need first to click on the message to make it active, and then right-click to
   get the pop-up.

- The 'Stay on top' option of the messages window is nice, but is cumbersome.

   Without the option, clicking the message means that the source window will
   cover the messages window (precious little screen real-estate), making it
   hard to do the right-click to get the menu-item which I really want
   (Usually "remove unused variable").

   With the option enabled, it really stays on top, also of other (non-lazarus) windows
   - forcing  me to switch it off before I can continue to work.

   Currently, the way of working is: Enable 'Stay on top', fix lots of warnings/hints,
   Disable "Stay on top", recompile all, and repeat.

   Suggestions to improve this would be most welcome...

- The compiler reports unused units, variables, constants.
   There is a "Remove unused variable", idem for units in uses clauses,
   but no "Remove unused constant". An oversight, I presume ?

- An option 'Remove all unused items in this unit' would be really great...

- When I select multiple files in the project editor (using ctrl-click), and then want to
   drag them to a package, then it deselects the clicked one if I use ctrl to perform the drag,
   and selects only the clicked one if I don't use the ctrl.
   This kind of defeats the multi-select :(

- When I move a unit to a package, then it happened that the IDE told me that this action
   will break the uses clause of some units. All correct, and this is really neat !
   The action to take was to add the target package to the source (project, in this case).

   So, an additional button in this dialog would be 'Add target package as dependency to source'.
   (or something shorter)

Anyway, great job on the new functionalities !!

Michael.