[Lazarus] Unable to debug GUI

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Mon Jul 14 19:48:02 CEST 2014

Il 14/07/2014 17:41, Michael Van Canneyt ha scritto:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Marc Weustink wrote:
>
>> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a machine on which I'm completely unable to debug GUI programs.
>>> The machine runs Ubunutu 12.04 LTS.
>>> If I try to debug, the whole system (at least X11, later the complete
>>> system) hangs as soon as there is a breakpoint in a GUI event handler.
>>

>> Try debugging you app on a second instance of X  ( display :1)
>> in some cases X locks up when a breakpoint happens inside a X event.
>
> Any hints on how to go about this ?
>
> I see suggestions with references to xvnc etc; but how to set this up
> with Lazarus ?

Just some general guidelines, because each distro has its whims. What
works with CentOs may fail with Ubuntu

1) Use:
Run -> Run Parameters -> Use launching application

2) Your launching application will be xinit, with a :1 parameter to
specify a different display.

Sort of:
/usr/bin/xinit -e /path/to/executable [Command line parameters] -- :1

for further details, man xinit and man xterm (which in this setup is
launched by xinit).

Hope that it helps,

Giuliano