[Lazarus] "Find in files" suggestion

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 17 09:38:18 CEST 2014

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:32:27 +0200
> Václav Valíček <vaclav at valicek.name> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Václav Valíček
>> vaclav at valicek.name
>>
>> Dne 15.7.2014 13:44, Michael Van Canneyt napsal(a):
>> > [snip]
>> > So, would it be possible to add to 'Find in files' the following
>> > search scopes:
>> >
>> > a) Search in "Open Packages" (all packages that I have opened in the IDE)
>> +1, Would be nice...
>
> "Open packages" are in Lazarus all used packages. That means used by
> package editors, project and IDE.

Let me rephrase that: Packages for which a dialog is visible.

>> > b) Search in "project and required packages".
>> Same overkill as you describe above, if you realise that most projects
>> are dependent on LCL (And it on LCLBase, next LazUtils, next FCL...) and
>> it is huge bunch of files....

Good point, I hadn't thought of this. See however the above 'for which a dialog is visible'.

The situation I'm having difficulties with is that I have a project that uses
some packages (I develop the packages). Although they are 'logically' part of
the program, the packages are scattered over a variety of places, since they're
used by other programs as well.

When working, I usually have the program + all relevant packages visibly open in the IDE.

To do a search is now very cumbersome, since I must repeat the search several times with 'find in directories'.
(and that happens several times a day)
I could create a monster project and include all files in that. Kind of defeats the purpose of packages obviously.

My conclusion is that it is one more reason why project group support
(and a related 'Find files in' option) is really a must.
I'll have to dive in my implementation again :(

Michael.