[Lazarus] 3D "desktop" written in Lazarus

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 12:25:26 CEST 2014

Hi Lazarus Gurus,

This is a follow-up on a previous question RE OpenGL components for
Lazarus. In addition to learning openGL,what I really want to do is write a
3D desktop environment for Linux (in Lazarus, if possible). Since OpenGL is
also available for Windows and Lazarus can cross-compile, it might be
possible to port to Windows later on (but not a priority: I'd rather port
it to Haiku first).

1. What I want instead of a typical "Desktop", is a 3D (like FPS game)
interface where the menu items (populated from a standard Debian/Fluxbox
menu file) are represented by e.g. books (for files) or 3D objects (for
tools) etc. and the menu groups are represented by different rooms/doors
for example.
2. Ideally it should be written so that it is easy for graphic designers to
customize.
3. But when you click on a specific program "icon"/object, it should open a
regular GTK/QT "window" with everything working as normal (maybe with
special customizable window decorations indicating the kind of program).
4. The "HUD" should function as a kind of shortcut to frequently used
programs.
5. In addition, it should be possible to navigate by keyboard alone (using
shortcuts and/or text auto-completion).
6. Oh, and it will be Open Source, obviously.

So I have a number of questions:
1. Does anybody know of a QT-based desktop environment that is lighter than
KDE (and not dependant on full KDE libraries)?
2. Is there an easy way to integrate OpenGL and X on Lazarus (either via
GTK or QT)?
3. I assume that creating the actual environment will be easier using a
full Lazarus Game Engine rather than only OpenGL Lazarus components.
However, should there be any difference in difficulty between accessing the
menu and opening a "normal" window from a game engine as compared to a
Lazarus OpenGL component?

If there is anybody who has the time, interest, (experience?), and/or more
nifty ideas for this, please contact me. For me this will be mostly a
learning process, but I also think it can be the start of something nifty
and useful.

Cheers,
Chavoux