[Lazarus] root privileg

A. Fortuny aforsprl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 19:23:51 CEST 2014

Le 4/06/2014 17:01, Reinier Olislagers a écrit :
> On 04/06/2014 16:54, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, A. Fortuny wrote:
>>> How to gain temporarily root privileges in a pascal program ? I
>>> need to 'ping' an IP address and for ping to work (Indy 10) I need
>>> to be root.
> Why do you need root to ping? You could set up sudo to allow
The program I intend to make will be developed as a service "pinging" on
a regular basis remote stations just to see if they are alive. The way
that Indy implements ICMP protocol means that "pinger" socket is
available only under root permission. The same test programs which fails
under normal user succeeds under root.
This is clearly stated in Indy FAQ. Read http://www.indyproject.org/KB/
for this subject and associated questions.

Antonio.