[Lazarus] Resource strings and newline

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:24:06 CEST 2014

> Format should not convert \n. This is the job of the .po reader.

Right, the .po reader converts it back to system specific line-ending.

Václav, apparently it works if you add #13#10 to a resource string. It
shows as \n in .po files and you can use it in translations, too.
No need for an extra tool for that.

This whole question started from my cleanup work in Lazarus IDE
sources for quotation chars '"' which were also passed as Format()
params but now they are hardcoded in resource strings.
Line-endings are still passed as params. It would be possible to
replace them, too, but that is a huge task and I am not planning to do
it now.

I must apologize for the extra work for translators caused by my
cleanup. There are many fuzzy translations now with wrong number of
parameters. Finally please use the PoChecker tool to ensure there are
no hidden errors left.
This creates more work in short term but makes things easier in long term.
The long param sequences like %s%s%s%s%s are gone now.

Regards.
Juha