[Lazarus] nonlcl basic issue: is codetools LCL dependent?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Jun 28 20:30:48 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 05:40:35PM +0200, Giuliano Colla wrote:
> Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did consider this possibility because
> we have hundreds of Kylix projects which are still alive, and need
> maintenance. Kylix IDE can only be used on old platforms/virtual
> machines but the compiler and the applications still run in the most
> recent ones.

I assume they are patched?

> Until recently I wasn't aware of the possibility of extending the IDE
> designer via a Mediator. But given this possibility, I find much more
> interesting and stimulating the attempt to take advantage of this
> feature, than the boring task of converting hundreds of Kylix
> applications to LCL!

Fun as it may be, it is probably only postponing the inevitable. Still it
can be worth the effort to avoid converting all of them.

That being said, I wonder if it really belongs to Lazarus. It never was
styled as a general purpose IDE. OTOH, if this work adds some flexibility to
the designer, that would be a good thing.