[Lazarus] nonlcl basic issue: is codetools LCL dependent?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 29 09:40:09 CEST 2014

Am 29.06.2014 01:43 schrieb "Giuliano Colla" <giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it>:

> Il 28/06/2014 20:30, Marco van de Voort ha scritto:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 05:40:35PM +0200, Giuliano Colla wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did consider this possibility because
>>> we have hundreds of Kylix projects which are still alive, and need
>>> maintenance. Kylix IDE can only be used on old platforms/virtual
>>> machines but the compiler and the applications still run in the most
>>> recent ones.
>>
>> I assume they are patched?
>>
> Nope. A Kilyx binary compiled under a RedHat 9 (Kernel 2.4.27 or so) runs
under CentoOs 6 as it is. You only need to provide the Borland supplied Qt
library (libborqt.so) in the loader search path. It also runs under a Linux
>From Scratch, with the latest 3.x kernel. But I prefer to recompile under
the new platform, to make sure there are no libc incompatibilities which
might pop up unexpectedly in the long run. However the sources are left
untouched. I believe this be a sign of good design, from the Borland's good
old times...

As I said I don't think that's necessarily a sign of good design, but more
a sign of the Borland Qt library not being developed any further (and the
X11 core protocol has been stable for decades so no breakage expected here
either). I'm sure it would be different if they had continued to work on
Kylix till today, because then they'd tried to incorporate new
functionality like is done with Delphi or Lazarus.

Regards,
Sven