[Lazarus] Console app

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Mar 17 10:47:09 CET 2014

On 03/15/2014 08:10 AM, Richard Mace wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have never written a console app and was wondering 2 things.
> Firstly, if I was to write an app that doesn't require a GUI, that
> runs on both Windows and Linux (with no XServer) is that classed as a
> console app?
> And secondly, is it fairly straight forward to write a console app
> that stores and retrieves data from a Firebird database, on the basis
> that I want to be able to use either the standard Lazarus components
> (or Zeos) to talk to the database?

A problem might be that there (right now) is no "Widget Type" in
Lazarus, that has no GUI binding and allows for using stuff like TTimer,
TThread.Synchronize, TThread.Queue and QueuAsyncCall().

In fact I am planning to do such a Widget Type, but unfortunately I
currently am busy with unrelated things.

-Michael