[Lazarus] New member with compiler query

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun May 4 09:32:25 CEST 2014

Am 04.05.2014 07:03 schrieb "Gordon Cooper" <hughgordont at gmail.com>:
> Am wondering what the differences
>           are for fP running on earlier Macs with Motorola cpu's and the
Intel
>           models.

Are you sure you mean Motorola CPUs? For clarification: there are two
completely different versions if the Mac operating system: MacOS (also
called MacOS Classic here) and MacOS X (simply MacOS here). The former ran
on m68k and later Power CPUs while the later ran/runs on Power (up until
10.4 or so) and Intel CPUs. Considering that the Classic m68k version is
*very* old I don't think that you'll need to support that. I suspect the
lowest you'll get is MacOS X on Power. And that (and the Intel version of
course) is supported by Lazarus and Free Pascal. In theory FPC also
supports MacOS classic for Power, but that is rather likely not in
operational state as it wasn't tested for a long time. Additionally there
would be no Lazarus support. And since FPC's m68k port was revived we could
in theory also support the very old Macs, but noone has tried that yet.

Regards,
Sven