[Lazarus] How to program with time in milliseconds?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon May 19 09:49:53 CEST 2014

On Sun, 18 May 2014, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2014-05-18 00:49, Tom Lisjac wrote:
>> I'm adding some clarification and context to your ongoing comments about
>> EpikTimer in this and other threads.
>
> What Michael also keeps forgetting, is that EpikTimer gives a unified
> timing interface, which is very handy in cross-platform applications.
> Yes we could manually use QueryPerformanceCounter under Windows,
> clock_gettime() under Linux and FreeBSD, and fpgettimeofday() everywhere
> else.... but EpikTimer gives us a clean API to use, and takes care of
> the platform differences for us. Makes for much cleaner code in our
> applications, which I personally think is nice!

I have never tried to suggest that a component as epiktimer does not fill a gap.

Once more, the only issue I am having is the continued suggestion that it is better and
offers more fine-grained/accurate timing than simply using now() when going cross-platform.

If the result of my continued hammering is that now someone will actually contribute
improvements, I can only appreciate the effort and you won't hear me about it ever again.

Michael.