[Lazarus] How to program with time in milliseconds?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed May 21 09:49:38 CEST 2014

On 05/19/2014 09:00 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Tom and I would welcome patches for EpikTimer.
I am not interested in EpicTimer in it's current stat, as it needs a GUI
based LCL Widget Type to be compiled, and my interest regarding timing
is the creation of the "ActiveNoGUI" widget type.

I suppose I some day soon will try to use vDSO directly in the
appropriate "interfaces" unit I am working on. Of course I will provide
the code I will be using there.

> Maybe EpikTimer should move to the Git repo of Lazarus-CCR so others
> could easily clone and share their feature branches (say via Github).

IMHO, EpicTimer (or maybe only the "technical" part of same that does
not support visibly placing the component) should reside in the FPC RTL
(and it's svn), while in the LCL (and it's svn) the "visible" part (e.g.
a sibling of the "technical" component) can be done.

Generally I am convinced that it is essential for a "quality" unit to
_use_ as few stuff as possible, to restrict cross dependencies as much
as possible.

-Michael