[Lazarus] OI Checkboxes

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 11:58:28 CET 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find this rather counter-intuitive.
> If I have a checkbox that is not checked and the caption of it says
> "False" then I would assume that "False" is not checked.

It is a valid point, I did not think of it.

> I would suggest to either remove the caption:
> ( | marks the vertical gridline in OI)
> AutoSize | [  ]
> KeyPreview | [X]

or it could be :
 AutoSize | [  ] (means False)
 KeyPreview | [X] (means True)

> Or since only one value can ever be selected: use two radiobuttons
> (which would look rather ugly).

Ugly and counter-intuitive. A CheckBox is a perfect match for a
Boolean. Something is either On or Off, True or False. That is what
CheckBox was invented for.

> I still don't see why we cannot use a "read-only" combobox for these
> kinde of properties. The argument that you cannot copy the value
> anymore can easily be overcome.

Yes, I committed such a change a long time ago but had to revert it
due to the feedback I got.
I forgot what the reasons were exactly.
But still for Booleans CheckBox is superior to ComboBox, see above.

Juha