[Lazarus] UTF8 RTL for Windows

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 23 13:56:42 CET 2014

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> True. Although many programmers misunderstand what this means. It is not
> as scary as it sounds.

To all the scared people:

Don't worry. Computers are not scary, not really.
Just look at "Terminator" (or any other Sci-Fi involving computers),
the humans always win in the end... :-)

>> Additionally, most basic File I/O routines now correctly call the underlying
>> OS-es file routines with the codepage the OS expects (which is WideString on Windows).
>
> Is it safe to say UTF-16? Or are there still UCS-2 Windows?

I think some older versions of Windows are still UCS2,
but I believe as of Windows 2000, it is all UTF-16.
However, I am not an expert.

>> The exact behaviour of the RTL is controlled by a couple of variables:
>> DefaultSystemCodePage, DefaultFileSystemCodePage , DefaultRTLFileSystemCodePage.
>
> Yes, that's the important bit that FPC made better than Delphi. :)

Phew... At least something we did better in the whole string mess ... ;)

Anyway, I was just trying to say that a 1-byte string is not necessarily UTF-8 in FPC 2.7.1.

Michael.