[Lazarus] Pochecker (was Fuzzy traslations ignored)

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Oct 10 11:01:21 CEST 2014

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:04:26 +0200
Giuliano Colla <giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

>[...]
> Editing tools accept a .pot file as a starting point to generate the
> first copy of your localized versions (for a new translation).

A valid point.
Although I'm not sure why the generated header matters here.

An important point are the new units with dots in their name.

The IDE could check if unitname.po exists.
If it does: update that for compatibility.
If it it does not: update/generate a pot file.
Would that help?

> I wouldn't give a damn on what gettext says either, if it weren't that
> by not following its rule we generate troubles:
>
> 1) we have template files and translation files (which are two different
> beasts) with the same extension, and programs must figure out, by other
> means, which one is which.
> It's much easier and cleaner to tell them apart by a different extension.
> Moreover, sometimes the figuring out fails, as in the case of the files
> on the debian/po directory, where translation files are mistaken for
> templates.

In this case the template is called 'templates.pot' and the
translations '??.po' instead of 'templates.??.po'. So this seems
to be a special case.
And note that these strings are not from a Pascal unit and are not
used in an LCL application.

Mattias