[Lazarus] Redundant text on project buttons

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 01:20:08 CEST 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Kostas Michalopoulos
<badsectoracula at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "Tab order" icon uses two arrows - this means nothing really when it
> comes to ordering - in this case it is about specifying a sequence, so
> something linear (like a vertical list of items) or something that shows the
> nature of the ordering (like a few tiny controls with numbers) would be
> better. The current icon is also the same (on what it shows) as the restart icon.

I am guilty for this one.
To get at least some icon there, I copied an existing icon and changed
its colors.
I remember it was some package related icon.
Yes, a better icon would be appreciated. I promise to apply it.

> Similarly the Anchor editor icon isn't really helpful - sure, you edit
> anchors, but the real purpose of the editor is to specify layout. A 3x3 grid
> or something like that with L/R/T/B letters could be better. Or some
> controls with the guidelines drawn.

IMO this is not completely bad.
"Anchor" borrows the concept and word from boats. The icon continues
the same idea.
Besides, anchors are only one way to make layouts. It is not a synonym
for layout.

> the Object inspector and Project inspector icons are essentially the same
> (the gray circle in project is barely visible and i actually noticed it after
> looking the two icons for some time). In this case the Object inspector
> is the odd one out since it looks like the "box, pyramid, sphere"
> icon is used to mean "Project" in other icons.

And even worse, the icon in the View menu is different from the icon
in the window.
The different IDE windows now have their own icons (in trunk) which is
nice but maybe they should match the View menu icon.

> Another case is the "Jump Back" and "Jump Forward"
> buttons which use the binoculars even though they have nothing to do with
> search and are instead about navigation (the binoculars are otherwise used
> for searching stuff in other icons).

This is fixed in trunk.
I noticed the same thing and Giuliano Colla kindly provided new icons.
This is related to the EditorToolbar component by Graeme now being
part of Lazarus bigide (installed by default).
It now has "Jump Back" and "Jump Forward" commands enabled by default.

Juha

P.S.
Anybody who looks for bugs or things to improve in Lazarus, please try
Lazarus trunk.
It has many improvements and other goodies.