[Lazarus] Help system questions

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 07:00:36 CEST 2014

Hi list (and Laz devs),

I'm working on fixing some things in the help system.

1. function TChmHelpViewer.ShowNode(Node: THelpNode; var ErrMsg: string
  ): TShowHelpResult;
in
components\chmhelp\packages\idehelp\lazchmhelp.pas
has
  if Pos('file://', Node.URL) = 1 then
  begin
    Result := PassTheBuck(Node, ErrMsg);
    Exit;
  end;

Is ignoring the results of the PassTheBuck (nice name ;) ) call on
purpose or should it be changed to Exit(Result)?

2. My patch in
seems to work ok: for context-sensitive lhelp is started, hidden, loads
.chm files and then is shown once the files are loaded.
Then it shows the help for the requested item.

However, after a couple of seconds (which suggests a timeout error in
the IPC communication) the IDE starts the Code Browser, looking for the
identifier.

Getting a bit tired, so perhaps somebody can tell me where the fallback
to showing the code browser is coded...

Thanks,
Reinier