[Lazarus] Enabling menu-options depending on a Lazarus-setting?

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Sep 2 15:31:16 CEST 2014

On 02/09/2014 12:11, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Linux there's the option to view a window with the console-output
> of applications being debugged.
>
> This option is enabled with the define DBG_ENABLE_TERMINAL in three
> units.
>
> In debugger/debugger.pp the define is set for linux only, with the
> result that the window is actually visible in the menu.
>
> In components/lazdebuggergdbmi/gdbmimiscclasses.pp and
> components/lazdebuggergdbmi/gdbmimiscclasses.pp the define is also set
> on linux, so that this debugger actually sends the console output to
> the screen.
>
> Now I have my own debugger, and this debugger also supports the
> console-window on OS/X. So I could adapt the define in debugger.pp for
> OS/X, but then the menu-item also appears when a gdb-based debugger is
> used, which do not support this option on OS/X.
>
> So, question: what would be the correct way to display this
> menu-option, based onto the selected debugger. (Add a property to
> TDebuggerIntf, but after that?)

Add a class[1] method to the debugger-class. return true/false,
depending on the availability of the feature.

The base class, would have the current ifdef. All other code depends on
the value of the method.

In ide/DebugManager the debugger class is selected and setup. That would
be the place to update the menu (maybe enable/disable instead of hiding).

[1] If it is a class method debug manager may be able to decide on the
class. If the code in debug manager allows to wait for the instance,
then it can be a normal method.