[Lazarus] Bug: CodeTools can't handle some generics

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 00:40:30 CEST 2015

I am prepping to release version 2 of Bare Game, and in doing so am
producing a "lets make a game" video series where I show a cross platform
game running on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and the Ouya console (a basic
android system).

I am hoping the video tutorial series which takes someone from a non
programming background, introduces them to Free Pascal and Lazarus, and
teaches basic of game development skills using Bare Game in a series of 14
videos.

The problem is there are a few issues with CodeTools which I think may
hamper new users.

One problem in particular deals with code insight, which helps Lazarus
users find methods on objects. Users can normally press ctrl+space after
the dot of an object and get a drop down list of properties, methods, and
other information related to a class or record.

In Bare.Game library though I make use of clonable objects (cloning a
sprite, cloning a pen, cloning a vector graphics path for example) and
their definitions typically look like this:

TGraphicObject = class(TPersistObject, ICloneable<T>)
TPen = class(TGraphicObject<TPen>)

I filled out a CodeTools bug report with a video.

Mantis report:

http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=27847

Video:

http://cache.getlazarus.org/video/bare_game_code_tools.mp4

If I could get some help understanding CodeTools I could fix these errors
and possibly a few others, but I honestly hesitate to put out this tutorial
when I know new users are going to struggle if CodeTools constantly jumps
to source code units telling theme there is an error, when in fact there
are no errors.