[Lazarus] Project Improvement Help - YANA(Yet Another Network Analyzer)

Euller Pereira euller88 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 22:38:23 CEST 2015

Hello, I'm an academic student from Brazil, and I have a project of
updating and porting to Linux an application called YANA(Yet Another
Network Analyzer). You can find it on the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yana/.

The latest version was written using Lazarus 0.9.22 and seemingly Free
Pascal 2.0.4(I'm not entirely sure of it), which was back in 2007. Since
then, much has changed in these two tools, and many things need to be
reworked on YANA.

But the first problem is that I can't even compile the code provided by the
author, because it uses Kylix compatibility-only units for Linux, libc and
kernelioctl, and it relies on a specific dll of Windows, IP Helper DLL.
Therefore, this fact locks the software to Windows and Linux running on a
i386 platform.

I successfully compiled and ran all the utility modules that composes it as
separate programs, but when they are put together with a particular unit,
which I will send as an attachment to this e-mail, the whole process broke
down in others platforms.

My intent is to remove this dependency and make the software more
cross-platform possible, but I actually have no clue about how to do it, so
please: can any of you help me by telling the first steps which I must
take, the beginning is hard, but once the flow is established, the outcome
will be a natural consequence of it.

Thank you in advance for any help.