[Lazarus] Auto Update Request

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Apr 13 16:28:13 CEST 2015

On 13/04/2015 14:58, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> On 13/04/15 14:28, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> Do you need additional features: a diff kind of update,
> My bet's primarily on this one.

Well then the question is, is the request for
- an AUTO update (same download, just the IDE checks for it)
- an UPDATE installer, that reduces the download size.

Of course ideally both.

IMHO the rebuild with your packages should not be part of the installer,
but be done when you run the IDE. Same as we have the setup screen,the
IDE could probably detect that the configured packages are no longer
installed, and ask.

As for the installer size, their are many options. The problem is
manpower. Such installers have to be build in order to be provided, and
someone has to do this on every release.

Speaking of the windows installer (I do not know the others)
It be possible to build an Lazarus only, no fpc, if you already have fpc
in the correct version from the last install. But it needs to be build
each time. And it will add work on support, if people try to use it with
an older fpc,
It would also be possible to just install tho Lazarus sources, no ppu
included, and then build them locally (more time to install, less download).

There are many possible variations. But they all will take time for
building and testing on every release.