[Lazarus] "Copy selected messages to clipboard" bug

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Apr 20 16:26:56 CEST 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:34:06 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

>[...]
> Mattias, is there a way to switch back to the old Messages window? Even
> if I have to do it as a local mod in my own copy of Lazarus? I already
> have so many local mods anyway. Any pointers to which commit(s) I could
> revert would be appreciated.

The whole part of the IDE about external tools and the Messages window
were rewritten to support multithreading, real time sync with
source editor, filtering, searching, millions of lines of output, etc.
The old Messages window is gone.

>[...]
> > However, frequently I see messages I want to inspect (click on them to
> > go to the source), but this seems impossible now?
>
> I don't see a lot of information I'm interested in any more. And while
> compiling the Green and Yellow bars seems almost like they are jumping
> up and down, so I can't track the compiler progress at all by just
> looking at it. :-/

When new messages arrive the others scroll up. Nothing new.
While compiling the last line of output is shown, no matter what the
filtering is. This line shows, where the compiler is
currently working. Thus this line is the "progress line". When
the tool completed the progress line vanishes. Again, nothing new.
Formerly lines were only appended at the bottom. Since the IDE now runs
multiple compilers in parallel, lines are inserted at various places.
When a compiler has finished the Messages scrolls to the next still
running compiler. This can lead to jumping up/down. If you find this
confusing you can disable parallel compilation or close your eyes.
Formerly a line "Project compiled successfully" was added. This
information is now in the header.
That means formerly the progress line vanishes and the Success line was
added, so no scrolling.
Now the progress line vanishes, which leads to a scroll down.
Maybe showing the progress line can be made optional. Then you would
see less scrolling.

Mattias