[Lazarus] "Copy selected messages to clipboard" bug

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Apr 20 17:44:19 CEST 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:45:02 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2015-04-20 15:34, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > When the progress line is not showing, then *only* the header is left
> > to show the finish.
> > Maybe you mean +1 to show a finish line?
>
> Just my 2c...
>
> Now this is where I see a huge problem. I thought I was alone in finding
> the new Messages window confusing, but clearly there are many others
> too.

That's a strange definition of "many others", but it explains why I
often misunderstand your mails. ;)

> If you have to explain to so many seasoned developers how the
> Messages window works (something that should be obvious), then there is
> an obvious flaw in the user interface design. A better design (what the
> developers sees in the IDE - not internal code) is clearly needed.

The way you described the problem sounded like a potential bug. That's
why I described how it is supposed to work.

> I understand you wanted to improve the IDE by implementing a long sought
> after feature, multi-threaded compiling, but maybe more thought needs to
> be given to how to present the compiler output.

I'm aware that we need options to please the various tastes of
developers (including "so many seasoned developers", "many others" and
Graeme).

Mattias