[Lazarus] Recommended install methods

DougC doug at moosemail.net
Mon Aug 17 01:52:41 CEST 2015

Graeme just posted this to the fpc list as a recommended way to install fpc:

Remove all copies of FPC, no matter the
versions. Remove all copies of the fpc.cfg too. Look in /usr/local/etc
and $HOME.

Then download the official FPC release install:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/FreeBSD/2.6.4/

Untar the file to a temp directory and run the install script. Install
to your own home directory location - that way you don't need root
privileges. For example:

/home/freds/devel/fpc-2.6.4/

Using version numbers in the install location also means that you can
install other versions of FPC concurrently. You can then tweak the
~/.fpc.cfg to use $fpcversion macros instead of hard-coded version
numbers. That way all FPC install share the same ~/.fpc.cfg file.

If you need the FPC source code, download that from SF.net too, and
unpack that in /home/freds/devel/fpc-2.6.4/src/

I then amend my PATH environment variable to include the stable FPC
"bin" directory, so I can use FPC from anywhere in my system, simply by
typing 'fpc <myprogram.pas>'. Other FPC versions can be used by
specifying the full path to the fpc binary.

I've used this setup for years - first with Linux, then the last 3 years
with FreeBSD. This has always worked without fail. I NEVER use any
package management version of FPC, and neither to I use FreeBSD ports to
install FPC. The official FPC release installer is all you need.

Regards,
- Graeme -

I like this approach. Is there a similar (not any more complex) recommended way to handle Lazarus installs that allows for multiple versions to be simultaneously installed and used interchangeably?