[Lazarus] POFile ommission

JuuS JuuS at mykolab.ch
Fri Aug 28 16:22:28 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Recently got into PO files and want to translate a program.

Turns out, however, that multi-line hints in lfm files are not brought
over correctly - only the first line of the multi-line hint.

This is by design as can be seen in the Translations unit
TPOFile.TranslateStrings procedure in the condition:

if SType=stLrt then (at around line 1217)

Multi-Line resourcestrings from the rst files are handled fine.

I was going to take a stab at writing some code for this but then was
stopped because I saw that there was some utf8 (?) translation going on
when the rst file is created. Seeing that the job was starting to
entangle multiple units and methods I thought it better to just let out
a FYI and let a master work on it.

This would also affect multi-line edits and so on, so I believe it was
just a simple oversight.

In a related question: Combobox contents (and I presume listbox
contents) are not written to the lrt files. I would find this useful
also as currently I have to make the combobox contents a resourcestring
and then assign at runtime. But maybe this is a limitation of the
po_file translation system itself?

Have a great day.

Julius