[Lazarus] authoring user manuals

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Aug 3 20:11:07 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 04:08:46PM +0200, Gour wrote:
> by looking at
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Add_Help_to_Your_Application page it
> seems there are several options to provide help (aka user manual) for
> one???s app - CHM, HTML & INF.

For unit documentation a tool called fpdoc is used that is basically
generate with XML + source scanning as input. there are various outputs.

The preferences vary. The IPF proponents are very vocal as I'm sure you
noticed. I prefer CHM, if only because you can open it on e.g. Windows
without telling people how to install a viewer.

And frankly I don't care about size, at least not till it gets too weird.

> Now I wonder which one is recommended and if there are some helpers
> assisting manual authors to use some higher-level markup like
> markdown/AsciiDoc/rst?

No, it was more meant to be edited from the GUI using editors. The original
gui tool was part of fpgui's precursor fpgtk.