[Lazarus] learning advice for FPC/Lazarus noob

Tue Aug 4 00:38:42 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-03 18:37, Gour wrote:

> Is there any Editor support for the markup?

You could always download Editpad Pro (trial) and I can send you the
syntax highlighting files and file navigation support for it.

MSEide itself also supports syntax highlighting of IPF files.

I don't know of any editor with auto-complete or similar functionality
built-in for IPF.... but then it isn't really needed, because the IPF
syntax is very simple and easy to learn. Much easier and less than say
HTML or CSS.

> Now I see that it’s the old OS2’s format and I was die-hard OS2
> user. :-)

Correct. :) DocView is a newer and more user friendly INF help viewer
that the original IBM view.exe program. WIPFC is a open source IPF
Compiler created by the OpenWatcom developers. I'm still working on a
Object Pascal based IPF Compiler, but it isn't complete yet.

> Do you know about possible vim/Emacs support?

I downloaded VIM for OS/2 to see if they might include an IPF syntax
file, but they unfortunately don't. At least not the copy I found. If
you are familiar with VIM syntax files, it should be pretty easy to
create your own highlighter. I managed to create one for EditPad Pro in
about 30 minutes. The IPF syntax is much simpler than say HTML.

> I’ve sent a post to FPC list asking about GUI options form FPC, but it
> did not went through (yet). :-(

I haven't seen that email. I'll check again.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/