[Lazarus] Editor toolbar changes ?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 12:43:57 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> But:
> If I click the 'configure' button, the 'jump to' is not displayed in the
> list of enabled buttons.

Earlier it was hard-coded and not configurable. IMO it did not deserve
any special treatment, it should one configurable command amoung other
commands ... and now it is.

> In the newer installation, when I add the 'Jump to' button, a button is
> added to the editor toolbar,
> but it is not functional: the dropdown menu is not shown, and clicking it
> does not do anything (not surprising).

How did you do that?
You cannot add a 'Jump to' button. You can add 'Jump to Interface' and
'Jump to Implementation' buttons and they work perfectly well. These
commands were added to Search menu precisely for this purpose.

> What does this mean ? Did anything change in the toolbar editor ?

Yes, it was changed a lot. The code was moved from the package to IDE's code.
The configuration dialog and related code is shared with the IDE
Coolbar configuration.
The configuration data is stored in environment options instead of a
separate config file.
The new desktops feature now includes Editor Toolbar, too.
Earlier the Editor Toolbar had a profile feature for the same purpose
but new desktops affect the whole IDE.

> Should I be afraid to update my SVN in the older installation ?

No, the old settings are copied and preserved, except for the
hard-coded (hackinsh) 'Jump to' button.

More improvements are needed but they must be done in a consistent way
for the whole IDE.
As you noticed you cannot configure a dropdown button with a menu. The
IDE Coolbar has some hard-coded dropdown buttons even though it is
otherwise configurable. No good. There should be a clean API for
commands with dropdown menus. Then both the IDE Coolbar and Editor
Toolbar could use it.
If somebody wants to work on such a feature, I would be happy to help
and finally commit it.

> [...]
> Seems to be a confirmed bug then :)

No. It is a feature, not a bug.