[Lazarus] Are you on Windows 10? Are you experiencing slow installs? Here's the deal...

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 10:14:00 CET 2015

Are you on Windows 10? I bet you are. The reason you're having issues is
because Windows 10 is designed to be locked down, and by locked down I mean
certain registry keys cannot be view or edited, programs like group policy
editor have been removed for most users, and the Microsoft security
scanning tool is always on and cannot be turned off or configured.

The security scanning tool is activated when you run programs named
install.exe or setup.exe (or possible any other program downloaded from the
Internet which writes files to your hard drive). When setup.exe create
thousands of files (ppu, o, pas, lfm, executable tools) will consume an
inordinate amount of time as it tries to examine each file and compare
their signatures against a database or even a signature of possible viruses
and other malware.

While this might be good for general users, helping to prevent them from
compromising their machines by installing random stuff from the internet,
for developer tools which install thousands of little files, it ends up
being a real nightmare.

The solution is probably to stop naming install programs setup.exe or
install.exe and also to purchase a code signing certificate from a
legitimate vendor (one that Microsoft considers valid) and use that to sign
the installer. The downside is renaming an installer might not fix the
issue, and a code signing certificate costs money (do you want to send me
$200) and only lasts for specific length of time (one year, maybe more
depending on how much you pay), at which point you need to spend money on
another certificate.

My solution to this mess is simple, albeit not too forward thinking: Don't
use Windows 10