[Lazarus] Syntax error compiling fpc 3.0.0 3.0.0rc1 3.0.0rc2

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Sat Dec 19 21:35:05 CET 2015

Hi All,

I ran out of room on the raspberry pi's 8GB NOOBS SD card so I just
created a new SD 16GB card with the latest version of Raspbian.  I got
all of the usual tools working in short order (VNC, SSH, FTP,...).

Then I decided to build a completely new version of FreePascal and
Lazarus from source (just to prove that I can ;-) ), but I can't compile
any style of fpc 3.0.0 from:

     svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0_rc2 fpc2
     svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0_rc1 fpc1
     svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/branches/fixes_3_0 fpc

I am using fpc 2.6.4 as the bootstrap compiler.

The error is consistent at flt_pack.inc, line 119.  The message is
"Syntax error while parsing a conditional compiling expression".

I looked at the code and although it is not a trivial expression, I
can't see anything wrong with it (unless one of the conditional define
values is erroneous):

{$if defined(fpc_softfpu_implementation)
        or ( defined(FPC_SYSTEM_HAS_extractFloat64Frac)
              and defined(FPC_SYSTEM_HAS_extractFloat64Exp)
              and defined(FPC_SYSTEM_HAS_extractFloat64Sign)
         )}

I am using the command:

     make clean all OPT="dFPC_ARMHF -CX -CfVFPV2 -CaEABIHF -OpARMV6 -O2
-XX -Xs"

from mitchelcomputing.co.uk (slightly modified).

======

I tried commenting out the entire conditional statement and replacing it
with a failing conditional:

{$ifdef DRZ} // DRZ is not defined.

The compilation then ran to completion but the build failed because
"Binary files ppp3 and ppcarm differ".  (Why there are two executables
and what it means that they are different is beyond me :-[ ).

That error message is followed by many "recipe failed" messages.

Both ppp3 and ppcarm (which were left in the compiler directory) execute
successfully in that they report version 3.0.1 for arm with detailed
usage information.  I haven't tried compilation with them (yet).  I will
try "hello world" a little later today (have to run an errand for my
wife) and report the results.

I don't want to spend the time compiling Lazarus till I get a clean
build and install of fpc.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don Ziesig