[Lazarus] Detecting when decompiler is running

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 4 10:48:39 CET 2015

Am 04.12.2015 09:29 schrieb "Richard Mace" <richard.mace at gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
> I was wondering if there was a way where an application, written in
Lazarus, could detect when a compiler is running, perhaps by it's mutex?
> My idea was, in my application, I could periodically check to see if a
decompiler was running and then my app could perform an operation, such as
maybe closing.

You can't do anything actively against a decompiler (please don't confuse
this with "compiler"...) or dissasembler as these are running while your
application is not. You'd need to use code obfuscation for that -
especially on the assembly level - so that neither a human nor an algorithm
can easily reconstruct the code's meaning.
What you cam do at runtime though is to protect against debuggers.
Since this isn't specific to Lazarus/Free Pascal I'd suggest you to look
also in context of C/C++ programs.

Do you want to protect your whole application or only a specific part?
(e.g. a specific algorithm you don't want to disclose or the license
validation code)

Regards,
Sven