[Lazarus] Raspberry Pi bundles now available

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:06:29 CET 2015

All versions of the Pi use an ARM chip, which is a specific reduced
instruction set (RISC) chip architecture. I believe they are compatible
save for their VPF or hard float processors. Raspbian, the required OS for
this bundle, has general hard float support built into its libraries.

When you type "fpc -ic" using my build, this will be the result:

ARMV3
ARMV4
ARMV4T
ARMV5
ARMV5T
ARMV5TE
ARMV5TEJ
ARMV6
ARMV6K
ARMV6T2
ARMV6Z
ARMV6M
ARMV7
ARMV7A
ARMV7R
ARMV7M
ARMV7EM

This means the user can add any arm specific architecture optimization to
his programs by adding -CpARMV7 (or anything from the list above) when
compiling. I've had a few people on reddit contact me and so far the issues
were minor (I changed the requirement to force gtk+ dev packages be
installed), but so far they all say the IDE was fast and now that the
install has been correct it works smoothly.

If you or anyone has an original Pi, Pi B, or even the Pi Zero, give it a
try. I added a Raspberry Pi forum to discuss technical issues should you
want to notify me of issue or need help resolving some specific problem:

http://www.getlazarus.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=22

What's next is me writing an SDL 2 install page (requires the user to make
and install SDL 2 from source) or I may just write an SDL 2 setup script,
perhaps appending it to the original setup as an option. Then I will write
a few Raspberry Pi specific full screen graphic and sound demos (source
code) which should easily be compile and run using either the minimal
compiler or Lazarus for Pi.

Again, if anyone wants to contribute, just send me note.