[Lazarus] Release Candidate 1 of Lazarus 1.6

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Dec 9 12:17:55 CET 2015

On 12/09/2015 11:45 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> Application QueuAsyncCall is implemented using TThread.Queue.
> What is wrong with the current implementation?
Nothing. But it uses another Queue. Queue handling needs OS calls for
waiting. I  want to avoid to do any OS Calls so I simply use what the
RTL offers for exactly this purpose.

> Many concepts are explained here:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Extending_the_IDE Lazarus contains
> several examples of such design time packages. Maybe instantfpclaz.lpk
> is a good start.

Thanks !

I will tale a look.

> Since FPC/Lazarus is cross platform, it usually works the other way
> round. For instance "Windows Service Application" for platform
> dependent, just "Service Application" for cross platform.

I have no problem with  choosing a different name. If you say just
"Service Application" is OK, it's absolutely fine with me.

> NoGUi has already a dedicated mainthread, TThread.Synchronize,
> TThread.Queue, Application.ProcessMessages,
> Application.QueueAsyncCall. Only SendMessage and TTimer are missing.

I started working on the "active NoGui" project years ago, as at that
time there was a chance that I would need to use it (But I could not
talk my colleagues into the fpc/Lazarus direction.)

Bo seems to have done some testing for his NoGUI project but seemingly
what he found was not up to his needs. (I found similar requests every
few month in the mailing lists, but seldom somebody instated so strongly
on finding exactly something that closely resembled my old project.) .

So it might - or might not - be viable to publish it by decently
integrating it in the Lazarus environment.

In fact I would not like to try to re-use the NoGUI code, especially as
I seem to remember that I read about several shortcomings of same (I did
not yet check myself). Is there a documentation on what exactly NoGUI is
supposed to provide ?

(I suppose this "Service Application" might replace "noGUI", but of
course same should stay in place for legacy projects. )

-Michael