[Lazarus] UTF8String and UTF8Delete

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sun Dec 13 22:18:13 CET 2015

On 12/12/2015 05:28 PM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 8:38 PM,  <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
>> especially those readers from the ancient past (TP/BP days) who are trying
>> to catch up to the modern future...
>
> LCL has supported UTF-8 for > 10 years. As a long time Lazarus user
> you should know it.

i don't because i'm just barely dipping my toes into the UTF-8 pool... one of my
first tasks was to convert today's mess back to CP437 for posting in pure text
environments... it wasn't too hard but it was tedious with tables for converting
quoted-printable, html entities and unicode so that things like

   ©
   #$C2#$A9
   =A9
   &#169

are all converted to the old style "(c)" copyright... the same for "(tm)" and
others... 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 are additional examples...

> For most cases things did not change very much. Earlier you had to use
> the explicit UTF8...() functions, now you don't need them. Things are
> better!

i'm hoping to dip further into the pool in the next few years...