[Lazarus] UTF8String and UTF8Delete

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 23:43:25 CET 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:18 PM,  <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
> i don't because i'm just barely dipping my toes into the UTF-8 pool... one
> of my first tasks was to convert today's mess back to CP437 for posting in
> pure text environments... it wasn't too hard but it was tedious with tables
> for converting quoted-printable, html entities and unicode so that things
> like
>
>   ©
>   #$C2#$A9
>   =A9
>   &#169
>
> are all converted to the old style "(c)" copyright... the same for "(tm)"
> and others... 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 are additional examples...

You mean you convert from Unicode to CP437 system codepage?
Uhhh... most people do the exact opposite and want to get rid of the
horrors of local codepages using any means possible.
What means "pure text environments"? Unicode is also pure text, only
the encodings are more sane.

> i'm hoping to dip further into the pool in the next few years...

Now you convert from Unicode to CP437. Next year you start to convert
from CP437 to Unicode.
Ok. You may be doing something dummy now but it is not my business of
course... :)

Juha