[Lazarus] UTF8String and UTF8Delete

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Dec 14 20:23:01 CET 2015

On 12/14/2015 01:09 PM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:43 PM,  <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
>> we're talking about text editors on traditional old school BBSes and offline
>> readers... the old qedit is one that comes to mind for use with offline
>> readers though some real masochists used edlin ;)
>
> I thought BBS was made obsolete by e-mails, internet forums and social
> media sites. Apparently not.

yup, definitely not... there aren't as many as there used to be, that's very
true, but they do still exist... i've got four running here using three
different packages and if pressed i could likely dig up addresses for many
more... the big thing, today, is that we've been able to use virtual modems
which speak old style serial comms on the one side and telnet, vmodem or
possibly ssh on the other side... some systems also support rlogin as well as
having integrated ftp and web capability...

but, we've drifted way O/T for this thread... this branch only came up because
of what i try to do and what i do have to do in certain cases dealing with BBSes
and custom utils written for them...

BTW: there is at least one relatively modern BBS written with FPC and i'm aware
of at least two others being ported to FPC from TP/BP... there's also at least
one ANSI terminal that i think is also done with FPC... it interfaces with SDL2,
though, and that's way outside my realm...