[Lazarus] New menu designer

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Wed Dec 23 08:26:34 CET 2015

On 23.12.2015 00:39, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Anthony Walter <sysrpl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As such, in the case of editor menus, it makes total sense to keep the menu
>> editor on top of other IDE windows until the time when the user closes the
>> menu editor (clicks the X button in the menu editor title bar). Any non stay
>> on top form style for menu editing would driver users crazy.
> Correct, and this becomes more important when AnchorDocking is used.
> Some other windows, namely Actionlisteditor and Collectionitem have
> the same issue.
> Forum user Soner A. had a valid point here:
>   http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,30663.msg195989.html#msg195989
>
> I was already planning to check the behavior of those windows and ask
> for opinions.

Thanks for explanation.

What I don't like on fsStayOnTop is the fact that fsStayOnTop-Window
wants to stay on top of all windows - also those from other
applications. This is IMO a seriously bad UI design. I know that Delphi
behaves the same but then we need some FormStyle that makes the window
stay only on top of its application windows and not system-wide.

E.g. I am writing now this email. I open Menu designer in Lazarus and
then switch back to my email program - the email program is covered by
the menu designer from Lazarus, which is absolutely not OK in my eyes.

> Ondrej, r50993  makes no difference.

Bad :( The PopupMode should solve the problem. On Win32 it works well
with PopupMode=pmAuto. On my testing Linux/Gtk2 system it works the same
with pmNode and pmAuto - it correctly shows the "Checkmark and radioitem
properties" dialog above Menu designer.
What OS/WS are you seeing the problem?

IMO this is a general LCL-issue. It means that you cannot show a modal
dialog from window with fsStayOnTop, which is bad.

> Anyway, I am planning to remove the whole "Checkmark and radioitem
> properties" dialog. Any (strong) objection?

No objections from my side. The properties can be set in OI.

Ondrej