[Lazarus] New menu designer

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Sat Dec 26 20:37:49 CET 2015

On 26/12/2015 19:06, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Péter Gábor <ptrg at freemail.hu> wrote:
>> Some examples of resourcestrings that can/must be merged

> No, my idea was to replace the old menu designer with a new one.
> Something is wrong with the design of the old one. Everybody who has
> modified and improved it says the same. Some improvements just feel
> impossible without a complete rewrite.
> So, this was the rewrite we were asking for.
>
> I was hoping the author Howard Page-Clark would participate in the
> discussion and improve his designer based on feedback. Maintenance is
> always an important part of any code.
> I have not studied details of the code yet but I plan to do it soon.
> In any case, if I will be a sole maintainer of this code then I am
> disappointed. I was hoping for a shared effort.

I was waiting for more feedback about the design/functionality, and for
changed/improved/removed. (I had nothing to add to the fsStayOnTop
discussion). I am perfectly happy to amend the code in line with what is
agreed here. The resourcestrings, for instance, need the attention Peter
indicated, plus more. This was a clear oversight on my part.

However, if functionality is to be removed, the pruning of the
resourcestrings would be more drastic. Is it agreed to remove the
RadioItem/CheckMark dialog? Is the left panel not needed at all?
The redundancy of duplicated items in that panel was part of the design,
a bit of hand-holding for beginners, but perhaps it out of place.

The opening mini-wizard-style question when dropping a new menu on a
form could be handled differently, or additionally have a section in the
main IDE Options dialog, for instance that provided a default, and a
choice of whether the wizard were ever shown.

I certainly expect to share in the maintainance of anything I
contribute. However, you will realize that I am a hobbyist, not a
professional programmer, and so my skills are limited compared to most
of those who read this list, and I am hampered by little experience of
operating systems other than Windows variants.

If there are reproducible crashes arising from the new editor, that
certainly requires diagnosis and attention. I don't get them here, but
if others do...

yours

Howard

---