[Lazarus] Extending the IDE to edit icons/images from inside Lazarus

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:01:51 CET 2015

Hi all,

I have made the following component: http://i.imgur.com/V7PRW4o.png

It provides an image editing dialog that i want to use in a few of my
programs. However i thought to also use it with Lazarus instead of (or in
addition to ) the "Load image" dialog that appears when you click on a
"TPicture" (or similar) property like the Glyph of a TSpeedButton, the icon
of a program, the image for a menu, etc so one can create an icon right
there instead of using an external program (the component also has two
buttons to load/save images if one wants to do that).

Does anyone have any pointers towards doing that? I suspect there aren't
any "hooks" for that (the easiest would probably be adding a button in the
Load image dialog, but i think that is an unnecessary extra click - click
on the property, click on the button, draw stuff, instead of click on the
property, draw stuff). Where in the code should i look at?

I haven't uploaded the component anywhere yet, i want to try and do that
first so that the "design" package is distributed with the normal component
package :-)

Thanks,
Kostas