[Lazarus] Determining Laz/fpc version without using LCLVersion

Werner Pamler werner.pamler at freenet.de
Tue Jan 13 19:54:32 CET 2015

 > In practice, I make no attempt to go earlier than FPC 2.2.4 (there are
 > reasons for avoiding earlier compilers that do not need discussion)
 > together with Lazarus 0.9.24 (fixes_0_9_24 from svn), which is about the
 > earliest that has LCLVersion.

This is much more than what I want, I think I'll stop with Laz1.0/FPC
2.4.0. I see now that I can get the basic spreadsheet functionality to
work fine with these versions, but the visual controls and demos are
rather fragile - this shows the enormous progress the LCL has made since
summer 2012.

Currently, I avoid using LCLVersion by having some conditional defines
which have to be activated in order to compile with old versions, and in
the wiki page there is some documentation of these defines. It's not
perfect, but provides at least a way to go.